Sunday, November 29, 2009

red thursday

It has been sometime since I last wrote, and what an eventful week it has been. Dawn and I needed a break from work come Wednesday. I was struggling with unrealistic requests and Dawn was dealing with the day-to-day. Either way, the 4 day weekend was perfect timing. In fact, by the time Wednesday rolled around, I ended up meeting up with a few colleagues of Dawn's for a cigar at Burn in Burnsville. I actually brought my pool cue along as was pleasantly surprised with my performance. In a future post I will look back at the pool hall days in college at Lucky's in GF.



Thanksgiving was at my parents house in Burnsville. Most of the Sheehan family (my mother's side) made an appearance. Tristan was especially excited about the day since his pal Ella was there. Tristan, Ashton (my cousin Alisa's two sons) and Ella all go to the same daycare provider in Burnsville. It is sure nice that they have the same daycare and can see each other on holidays. I am sure those three will grow up as best buds. After gorging ourselves on turkey and three killer deserts that Dawn made for the occasion (Carmel Apple Cheesecake, Gingerbread Pumpkin Trifle, and Pumpkin Cake), we lounged for a bit at the Boulders, read the Black Friday ads, and cruised home about 3ish.



We took right to putting up the Christmas Tree and all the other decorations when we got back. It was fun to finally get to decorate our own house. Although we quickly realized how more decorations are needed since we have so much more space. By Friday night we had everything pretty much in place. I am sure that will grow over the next month as more decorations are added.



Friday morning I had planned to hit-up the Black Friday deals (Babies 'R Us, Sears, Best Buy, Menards, Home Depot, KMart, and Target). This was all going to start at midnight when BRU was selling diapers for a song. Being that I didn't sleep well (and haven't been at all recently), I almost got up about 11:45 and headed out the door. Then, as luck would have it, I didn't set my alarm correctly on my phone and my initial departure time of 4:45am turned into 6:15am. CRAP! Although we had high hopes of checking quite a few gifts off the list, between the crowds of people and my late start, those hopes were quickly lessened. None the less, I know what to expect for next year! After coming home and picking up Dawn and Beaner, we headed out for a few more stops. Later that afternoon I swung over to St. Paul to help Hugh Jr. move some furniture around in his house. As you can see by the picture here, Ella indulged in some pasta for dinner and we are hoping she at as much as got her on during the meal :). The night ended by Dawn and I watching the neighbors put up Christmas lights.



We didn't have much planned for Saturday. We ended up running quite a few more errands and then doing more cleaning and a few updates on the house (new light fixtures in the foyer and kitchen, wall art for the dining room and spare room, and some demo on the shop downstairs). Hugh Jr. helped me with those light fixtures later in the afternoon and we BS the night away after dinner.



Enough catching up...Ella has been pretty needy recently. She doesn't like being put down on the floor to play by herself. She is standing for longer periods of time by herself and we are thinking she might start walking here in the next month.



My beef from this last week was steaming from work related issues and having the role of a marketer. Since this post is getting on the longer side, I will save it for the next post.



song: Jesse McCartney - Body Language



memory: Falling up the stairs...Until I did it, I didn't think it was possibly either. It was the summer of 2000 when I was taking the in-class portion of Driver's Ed. I was taking it with a few friends of mine, and because I was home alone that summer, parents of these friends would pick me up and drop me off during this week long class. I was downstairs watching TV when I heard their car horn honk, so I quickly ran upstairs. Long story short, I slipped on the top step, and as I was falling my knee was bent and I cut the skin of my knee-cap open on the overhanging tile that was in our foyer. Immediately I went into shock and starting calling anyone in the family frantically. Thinking that I was going to bleed-out or something, I dragged myself into the main-floor bathroom so blood didn't get on my mom's carpet. In the end my knee didn't bleed at all, but it was sure thoughtful. Being that I couldn't get a hold of my mom or dad, I called Karen Franzwa who lived with us in household. Before calling her I called 911 since I thought for sure I was going to die on that kitchen floor. By the time Karen pulled up, the ambulance had arrived as well. Realizing how small the cut was and being mindful of my dad's checkbook, she turned away the ambulance and she took me to intensive care instead. What a bummer! In the end the doctor totally screwed my knee for life by only using 5 stitches when at least 10 were needed (i.e., my scar is still pretty harsh). Instead of a memory next time, I may have to mention and list a few of the epic stories I have told in the past...you will see what I mean when I explain myself.



Gotta jump.

No comments:

Post a Comment